Central America is one of the most dangerous places in the world for women. As in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, women are being brutally tortured, raped, and murdered--with virtual impunity.
And the violence is escalating.
- Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras have the most femicides in the Western Hemisphere.
- Worst is Guatemala, where more than 4,300 women were violently murdered from 2000 to 2008--in a population of 14 million.
- Impunity is the rule, with 98% of cases never resolved.
- The women's bodies frequently reveal torture, mutilation, and sexual violence.
- Domestic violence is rampant.
- Suicide of victims of domestic violence is rising.
In July, 2010, the 9th
U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ordered the Board of Immigration to
consider granting asylum to Guatemalan women who fear that they will be
murdered if they return.
Thousands of women from Central America have fled to Mexico and the United States. They need your support! Learn how you can help by contacting one of the following organizations: